Food + me = love.
I love to eat.
I have no problem eating clean, whole & organic foods…in fact, oatmeal, walnuts, avocados, spinach, berries and tofu are some of my favorite foods.
The issue for me is timing.
If I don’t eat every 3-4 hours, cravings set in and I blow my diet…becoming dizzy with hunger. At that point, cheesy flavored pop chips, jelly beans and pizza look amazing to my palate and, before you can say ‘fish sticks’, they’re in my belly like fat bastard and his turkey legs.
The key for me is to always have a snack on hand so that when mealtime comes I don’t inhale my food. I pack my snacks in the morning so I’m not caught empty-handed.
Some of my favorite portable snacks include:
- Fat-free Chobani Greek-style yogurt with ground flax seeds
- 2 whole-wheat Wasa crackers with 1 tablespoon hummus
- a Gala apple with 20 almonds
- 1/4 cup trail mix
- 1/2 cup Friendship Whipped 1% cottage cheese with Fiber One cereal
- 15 tortilla chips with 1 tablespoon guacamole
The key for me is to include healthy fats, fiber and lean protein in each and every ‘meal’ (snacks are ‘meals’).
Again, I thank my registered dietitian for setting me on the straight & narrow. I HIGHLY recommend her.