I get asked the same questions over and over again:
How do I get washboard abs?
Will my stomach ever go back to normal after I’ve had a baby?
Can I shed the fat in the back of my arms?
How do I get rid of these saddlebags?
Can I get rid of back fat?
In other words, can I spot tone?
The short answer is no.
The long answer is this: the only way you can tone your arms, butt, back, abs and thighs is to lose overall body fat. By consistently eating clean, getting enough rest, keeping overall stress levels low and a daily dose of exercise – strength training & cardio – your body will change drastically. You’ll see overall results instead of improvement in just one area. As fat burns off, your muscles will begin to show, thus, the look of a ‘toned’ body.
It’s a simple or complicated as that! If you’re new to the weight loss game or looking to get back into that itsy bitsy dress after having a baby, here are some tips to get you started:
- Keep a food and exercise log — calories in, calories out.
- Hire a certified fitness coach and/or a dietitian and do what they say
- Make mini-goals for yourself every 4-6 weeks, i.e. a 5K run, a trip to the beach, a visit from an old friend
- Drink water. Lots of water. Add lemon for an extra cleanse to your intestines
- Move. Get off the couch.
- Join a local sports league and play your favorite sport