An Ode to Quinoa
Earlier this year, I kept a food log for my dietitian so I might lose a few pounds for my wedding. I was getting sick of my usual brown rice-with-dinner and my body craved another grain to shake things up.
Enter Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa).
This grain originates from the ancient South American Inca culture, also known as the ‘mother grain’.
I’m a huge fan for several reasons:
- Quinoa contains more high quality protein than any other grain: 6 grams per serving!
- It is a complete protein: it provides all essential amino acids
- A gluten-free food! No more puffiness!
- It’s filling but not heavy like pasta
- Quinoa is quick and easy to prepare: 10-15 minutes and dinner’s done!
Typically, I make my quinoa following the basic cooking instructions on the box except substitute water with vegetable broth to give it some zest and added flavor. I use quinoa as a side-dish with baked fish and steamed vegetables for an amazing meal!