My Season Is Party-Proof!
With Thanksgiving behind and the Christmas/New Year’s holidays ahead, ’tis the season for parties galore! I have at least one party planned every week, a fun girls’ weekend trip and a few shows to attend before January. I also have a fitness photo-shoot coming up and need to look (and feel) amazing!!
How on earth will I do it all and still have fun?
For me, it takes a village. Thanks to my dietitian Samantha Lynch, I will follow her staunch advice:
- Plan meals and snacks ahead of time: never attend an event hungry
- Avoid drinking empty calories: substitute sparkling water with a splash of cranberry and twist of lime (yum!)
- Allow for 3 small bites at a party, 2 of them lean protein like tuna tartare or chicken skewers
- Control portion sizes and eat slowly
- Water, water, water! Hydrate!
I’m lucky to also have an amazing trainer: Roderic Rosado. He advises:
- Run thrice weekly: 2 short-and-fast (3-mile) runs during the week and one long run (5-6 miles) on weekends
- Go heavy. Lift like an Olympian for more muscle recruitment and bang for your buck
- Take yoga once/week or get a serious stretch in
- Rest! Listen to your body-you’ll come back stronger after taking a well-deserved break
Create your own village: seek the help of friends and loved ones. Keep a food & exercise log and book exercise appointments instead of coffee dates to stay on-track! Follow the advice above and you’ll be camera-ready too!