Superbowl Parties: The Healthy Way
After a very exciting season, many of my readers will be attending or hosting a superbowl party this Sunday. Typical fare includes over-the-top nibbles like chicken wings, nachos, chili dogs and other fried calorie-bombs. Additionally, margaritas, beer and mixed drinks are poured in copious amounts.
If you’re attending a party, consider the following tidbits:
- Bring healthy alternatives to snack on:
- Don’t go hungry. If you arrive ravenous, you’ll have less self-control around the full-fat nachos!
- Stick to a 2-drink maximum and keep it cool. Alternate between sparkling water with a splash of cran & lime wedge. A great ‘mixed drink’!
- Stay focused on your goal by wearing your ‘skinny jeans’…your body will tell you when it’s time to stop, believe me! (Did you see the Subway commercial? Hahaha!)
If you’re hosting, take control of the madness. Check out these ideas:
- Exercise before you begin your day. Get a head start on your calorie consumption. Brag about it later.
- Don’t bother with the traditional recipes. There are so many ways you can cut calories it’s not even funny. Here are some healthy recipes.
- Chew on gum or brush your teeth as you prepare the food. Nibbling along the way adds up!
- Hydrate! Drinking water helps with appetite control.
- Have lite beer, sparkling water and diet sodas on hand for people like me.
- Relax and have fun. Stress isn’t cool.