Pump some iron.
This one’s for my cardio-addicts who shirk the weight room. Did you know:
- Each pound of muscle burns approximately 50 calories a day.
- Each pound of fat burns approximately 2 calories a day.
- Fat takes up at least 3 times the volume of muscle (that’s why a woman with little muscle who weighs 120 pounds looks worse than a muscular woman who weighs 140 pounds)!
- Cardio burns calories while in action, but very few when the workout is done.
- Strength training burns less calories during a workout than cardio, but revs up the metabolism during muscle repair over the next 24 hours, resulting in more bang for your buck.
- The repetitive nature of cardio puts pressure on your joints, ligaments, muscles and tendons and, unless you hit the weight room, you’re on your way to an injury.
- Adding plyometric exercises to your weekly strength regimen will give you more power in those sprints and uphill cycling climbs, so add ‘em in!
Sources: The Eat-Clean Diet, by Tosca Reno; Women’s Health Magazine; PTontheNet.com