Make it Memorable.
- Substitute hi-calorie beef with meaty fish chunks, like tuna, swordfish, salmon or halibut
- Soft-shell crab is in season! Marinate in lemon & olive oil, then grill it up 5 minutes each side.
- Nix hamburgers in favor of white-meat, low-fat turkey or chicken patties. Garnish with avocado instead of cheese. YUM!
- Dig your teeth into shrimp & veggie kebabs. enjoy with corn on the cob sans butter.
- Salad recipe calls for mayonnaise? Sub with vinegar and oil.
Going to someone’s barbecue?
- Have a healthy snack beforehand so you can control your noshing.
- Ask the host if you can bring a side dish: bring your favorite mixed greens salad loaded with veggie goodness like asparagus, tomatoes, carrots and peppers.
- Bring watermelon or in-season berries in lieu of ice cream.
- Pack your favorite park toy like frisbee, bocce ball or a football. Burn those calories instead of consuming too many!