Hot as Ballz!
This season is already sizzling hot. My street has become people stew and smells like it…the subway platform a marinated mess of stinky feet and underarm sweat. Marathon training? Ha! I’m just trying to get from one block to the next without frying like an egg!
My favorite mode of transportation (walking) hasn’t been the smartest: Wednesday, after back-to-back clients and a doggie stroll, I was exhausted. I took a catnap and woke up dizzy and lightheaded. Dehydrated and overheated, I was forced to chill at home, dog licking my face, husband playing nurse. It turns out several clients have fallen victim to the heat, too.
Unless you have extra sick days stored up and money to burn, don’t push yourself in this heat. Below are some warning signs that you may need to slow down:
- A headache
- General lethargy
- Abnormal fatigue
- Lack of motivation to do anything productive
- Muscle soreness that lasts more than 48 hours
- Body aches
- Dry mouth and throat
Feel exhaustion coming on? Get in remedy mode!
- Hydrate. Drink coconut water, watered-down gatorade, plain ol’ water with lemon or sparkling water with a splash of fruit juice.
- Skip your workout today. And maybe tomorrow. A few days of rest won’t make you fat! In fact, you’ll come back stronger and better.
- Rest up! Take a nap! Shut-eye helps restore hormone levels.
- Get a massage. Take a load off and smooth out those sore muscles!
- Eat vitamin-rich foods like leafy greens, colorful berries, legumes & lentils, fish & other lean proteins, and healthy fats like nuts & avocado.