Ode to Avocado
When we think of avocados, we usually think of “good fats” – those that increase levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) – the “good” fat that fights the “bad” fat. However, women planning to get pregnant (or already are, for that matter), take note: the avocado is an excellent source of folic acid – more folate per ounce than any other fruit! You’ll receive 22% of your daily needs in just 1 cup! To top that off, avocados are high in vitamin K and dietary fiber. Yes, avocados are a superfood.
I consume around 3 whole avocados every week. Here are some great ways to incorporate avocados into your dietary plan:
- Replace your sandwich cheese and mayonaise with 1/4 avocado.
- Instead of salad dressing, cut up 1/2 avocado and mix well.
- Make guacamole and dip with your favorite spear vegetable.
- Enjoy an avocado roll in your sushi lineup.
- Search for an avocado/yogurt/cucumber soup recipe.
- Make a roasted beet & avocado salad.
- Toss an avocado into your smoothie for a creamy finish.