Lasagna is one of my favorite foods. But something really amazing happens to it after a day or 2 in the fridge – leftovers are even better! But, my biggest problem is that it’s not the cleanest or healthiest of eats. Determined to still enjoy my fave foods, I mess around with recipes according to my lifestyle until it comes out right. And this one did.
Feel free to add any veggies in yours (green beans, dill, eggplant, whatever!) and opt for canned tomato sauce instead of ‘homemade’ (bumper crop of tomatoes over here). Spice this bad boy up to add more flavor, like more basil, rosemary, black pepper or anything else lying around in your spice cabinet. I don’t think you can go wrong.
Skoog’s lean, mean lasagna
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled & diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 2 cups homemade tomato sauce
- 1 8-oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 quart low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 4 medium zucchinis, sliced thinly length-wise
- 1 1/2 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat on the stove. Add onions & bell pepper, sauté for 3 mins. Add carrots & sauté for 2 more minutes, then add garlic. Sauté for 1 minute. Empty ingredients onto a large plate.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil in hot saucepan, add chicken. Break up chicken with a fork as it cooks, stirring until meat turns white throughout. Add vegetables to pan & combine. Add tomato paste, sauce, chicken/veggie stock, Italian seasoning & pepper flakes, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg, parsley & Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Layer lasagna in a 9X13 cake pan with 1/2 of the zucchini ‘pasta’ strips on bottom, 1/2 red meat sauce, 1/2 white sauce, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella. Repeat, and top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Add extra grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Cook uncovered in oven for 25-30 minutes, or until edges begin to brown and cheese is bubbly & golden in the middle.