Summer is a time to let commitments fall by the wayside. Being able to stretch out, relax and decompress is essential to renewal and moving forward with vigor. But, it’s over. September has come. Since Thanksgiving is just 12 potentially-productive weeks away, why not step forward with some hefty goals? Whether they’re fitness, career or financial-related, goal-setting can be a streamlined process.
- VISUALIZE: Having constant little reminders throughout your day will help you keep your eyes on the prize. In your own words, write down your specific goal and post it on the fridge, bulletin board or screensaver. When you’re discouraged in a month, go back and look at it for re-motivation.
- COMMIT to your goal. Write up a contract and sign it, getting a friend to witness the pact with yourself. Staple it with your written goal. Keep your friend up-to-date with your progress. Support is key to commitment.
- PLAN: Organize your life and map out your goal, step by step. Take your overall objective and split it into smaller, more manageable targets. Break it down into daily or weekly goals. Be proactive: roadblocks will happen. Plan ahead for hiccups. Have a backup plan for situations that may be out of your control. Keep track of your progress. Write down your achievements and failures and strategize accordingly.
- CHALLENGE: There is more than one solution to every problem. Mix it up as needed. Insanity is doing the same thing over & over again and expecting a different result. It’s going to take a lot of work to get where you want to go.
- INVEST: Put a little green into your goal and you’re twice as likely to stick to it. Invest time, energy and money towards this endeavor.
- REWARD: When you accomplish your goal, whether it took longer or was easier than you thought, reward yourself. Positive reinforcement goes a long way.