After a 6-month maternity leave, a dear client of mine went back to work. Since she wants to spend every moment she can with her children, my client takes a cab to work. At her sedentary desk job, she works straight through lunch so that she can leave on-time to eat dinner with her family before bedtime (taking a cab home, of course)!
She is not alone. I know countless working women who sacrifice ‘me’ time while raising families. So the question begs to be asked, “What’s a working mama gotta do to get (and stay) in shape?!?”
- Buy a stand-up desk. Seriously. All that sitting is bad for your health.
- If you must sit, buy a stability ball for your desk and use it. Perform crunches at least once/day.
- Take conference calls on a walk. Or put the phone on speaker and bust out some lunges in your office. Or at the very least stand up on the call.
- Buy a small, refillable water bottle & fill it often. The walks to the water cooler and restroom will add up. (Buy a fitbit & count those steps!)
- Choose stairs in lieu of the elevator. Take them two at a time (if your pencil skirt allows it, that is).
- Every time you use the bathroom, do 15 squats before sitting down. Tone up that toosh!
- Improve your posture: stretch your chest & shoulder muscles in your office doorway at least once daily for 30 seconds.
- Tuck dumbbells under your desk. Each time you come back from the restroom, do upper body exercises like bicep curls, tricep extensions, rows or overhead shoulder press.
- Every time you’re on an elevator, balance on 1 foot and do core tightening exercises.
- After the kids go to bed, bust out a 5-minute circuit of 3-5 exercises, like 10 pushups, 20 squats, 20 crunches, 60-second plank.
Believe me, every little bit adds up!