6 Healthy Snacks for the 3 o’clock Schlump
Some years ago, when I was chained to a desk making other people rich, I’d get to the office, wolf down my coffee, bagel and cream cheese, work, and was ravenous by lunchtime. I’d scarf down some type of convenient lunch (always an afterthought) and hurry back to sit and look busy. But, never fail, EVERY SINGLE DAY at 3pm, I’d be falling asleep at my desk. I called it the 3 o’clock schlump because that hour, from 3-4pm, dragged on for an eternity. I craved sugar, caffeine, something to keep me awake. Most days, I’d cave in to my neighbor’s candy bowl or the stale breakroom birthday cake. Other days, I’d visit the convenience store for some chocolate or head over to Starbucks and spend my day’s earnings on a mocha with extra whip (cream, that is).
Which NEVER made me feel any better. In fact, then I’d have the jitters for the rest of the day. I couldn’t concentrate and by dinnertime I made horrible choices because my bloodsugar was all out of whack. I also gained 10 pounds and had trouble sleeping.
If I just told your story, I suggest starting your day with a protein and fiber-packed breakfast to keep you going until you have to make smart choices at lunch. Then, have a snack handy in case the dreaded craving strikes. These ideas should put you in the right direction:
- 5 bell pepper strips and 5 carrot sticks with 1 Tbsp roasted red pepper or garlic hummus & small bottle sparkling water
- 1 hard-boiled egg, 1 orange & a tall glass of ice water
- 2 brown rice cakes with 1 Tbsp almond butter, cup of green tea
- 1 small apple with 10 raw cashews & sparkling water with lemon wedge
- 1/2 cup dried fruit, nut & dark chocolate mix, 1 cup black tea
- small cup of low-fat yogurt with dried fruit and a tall glass of ice water