Recipe Makeover: Potato Latkes
This year, Hanukkah falls on Thanksgiving Day. Many of my Jewish friends will be celebrating with some additions to their turkey dinner, like jelly donuts and potato latkes. Sounds like a calorie bomb to me! In this recipe makeover, I modified traditional oily, greasy, carb-y potato latkes into a nutty, crispy and delicious sweet potato version. Enjoy!
Skoog’s Hazelnut Sweet Potato Latkes
2 medium sweet potatoes, shredded
1 small sweet onion, shredded
1 clove garlic, minced
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup hazelnut flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
Salt, pepper to taste
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the potatoes, onion and garlic.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and add to potato mixture. Stir.
- Add both flours gradually and stir until mixture begins to “stick together”.
- Add salt & pepper & mix.
- Form small patties, approx 3″ wide and 1/4″ thick.
- Pour olive oil into small bowl. Brush oil onto each latke.
- Spray non-stick spray in a medium-sized saucepan on high heat. When the pan is sizzling hot, add a few latkes.
- Sear each side for approximately 2 minutes, or until latke is golden brown on each side. CAUTION: these are delicate. Use extra care when handling!
- Transfer latkes to baking sheet and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until they are crispy and cooked throughout.